Friday 8 May 2020

Still in lockdown

Today is the 75th Anniversary of VE Day and should have had a full list of commemoration events.  Instead we are still in lockdown for Covid-19. Thinking about wars, as I tend to do on these big anniversaries I am forever grateful that I have lived in a period where none of my children had to go and risk life and limb to fight. DS1 in particular would have struggled in WW1, to the point I seriously doubt he'd have survived. Just so many triggers for him, if I believed in reincarnation....and I really want to.... I would say he lived through the War and that's why he reacts so intensely to facets of life in the trenches. DS2 would not have lasted 5 minutes as a soldier in either War...he just doesn't understand enough to keep himself safe. In WW2 he could have worked on the land, which he'd have coped with but he needs so much looking after! I can see DS1 as as bomber pilot, he really likes Lancaster Bombers, so his life expectancy would have been measured in months. DD would have worked in something front line and dangerous because that's who she is...she would have been my only hope of a child who survived. As I say I am grateful all the time for being lucky enough not to have to watch my children go to fight.

On a different topic I got a phone call from DF last might and DM has been sent to hospital. Nothing to do with the pandemic, she is just getting increasingly old and frail. All those years of smoking are catching up with her with a vengeous! Apparently she is not managing to get to the toilet, lack of energy to walk according to DF. So pleased we are in lockdown so I don't have to feel guilty about not visiting. It was interesting how happy he was to chat on the phone, both last night and again today, he could also hear better without DM being around. I spoke to her briefly on her mobile but she had no interest in speaking, not ill just keener on speaking to DF to complain about him not sorting stuff...she really is a poisonous old woman. I have checked and don't have a skirt for a funeral but I'm sure I can sort something if the best happens. Hopefully soon while restrictions on funerals are still in place, that way it can be a brief affair and I don't have to pretend to care even minimally.

Lockdown looks as though it will still be in force at least until the end of June...I am thoroughly bored with the whole thing. It just makes life tedious and worst of all there is just no quiet in the house. With DP, DS1 and DS2 all off work and with no sports or gym to go to they are hanging around ALL the time! They just make so much noise and fill the house up. Luckily tips have finally reopened, though you now need to book a slot to go, anyway I have booked what may well have been the very first slot at the nearest tip and DP and DS2 will go on Monday to get rid of the mountain of cardboard and wood we have stacked up ready to go. Assuming the tip calms down and we can get to it more easily we can then start sorting DS2's room. He wants it reorganized which will mean a lot of  old furniture taking to the tip and new units put in place.

No comments:

Post a Comment