Saturday 7 February 2015

Mumsnet...totally addictive in a weird way

I have tried Mumsnet before and not really found it very interesting. But I went back...boredom drove me to find something interactive and involving people I could read. As an aside I read all the time, I will read anything but prefer novels about real people. This can be sci fi, historic, anything as long as I can recognise the characters as real people and I can't hear the author all the time. My favourite novels include Lord of the Rings and my favourite authors include Heinlein and Jane Austen so as you can see my definition of 'real' is wide. I also read news/ political blogs and the headlines from online newspapers but there is never enough 'human interest' for me so I do go trawling the internet for more stuff to feed my addiction.

To get back to Mumsnet. Its a bit hit and miss to be honest, sometimes there are threads that are very compelling...like a good book when you just want to know how the story ends, but it happens in little bits and you have to wait for the 'story' to unfold. Sometimes its all a bit slow and dull. But its really interesting how reading the threads affect how I view my life.

I have always known my mum was hard work but I would now say she was verging on narcissistic and best kept away from. I had pretty much done that before reading all the threads but its helpful to read other peoples stories and see how they cope with parents way more toxic than my mum.

I have also come to the conclusion that partner is a verging on abusive...or rather he would be abusive if  I hadn't emotionally divorced him and so removed myself from trying to meet his needs/demands. He uses his temper as an attack dog to try and keep us all in line doing so he can stay in charge and we all have to do what he wants. Only I ignore him pretty much totally and certainly ignore all his huffing and puffing, which kind of takes his power away. Its hard to use the threat of sulking and making everyone's life miserable if you don't get your own way if you are being ignored and everyone else is taking you at your word that you are too tired and going out and having fun without you. He does plenty of other stuff...always having to be right is an annoying one. But reading Mumsnet shows me that he is a long way from as bad as he could be and really is liveable with. Not at all what I expected as many of the threads I read are about women saying how their partners behave and being advised to 'leave the bastard'.

Not that I wouldn't leave in a heartbeat if  I had the cash. Even harder now my daughter is chronically ill and needs stability and I need access to cash to make her life as easy as possible. So I stay and Mumsnet kind of validates my choice. Also some of the threads are fun and its good to share and the others are like the best kind of gossip....a real insight into someone else's life but as its all anonymous so I need feel no guilt for being nosey.

As I say totally addictive...at least for the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment